The project is based in a fantastic area, with very easy access to the coral reefs
Volunteer helps to analyse samples in the lab
Enjoy diving sustainably, helping the marine world to survive
Collecting coral data to help preserve marine life in Thailand for generations to come
The rise of the fishing industry and increasing water temperatures are having a dramatic impact on the future of marine life. Along with a team of researchers, scientists and other volunteers you will be exploring life beneath the sea, and finding new ways to conserve it.
You will usually dive twice per day to gather research, data and observations of the marine world. The enthusiastic and knowledgeable team will soon have you as passionate about the marine world as they are, noticing subtle changes and their dramatic effects.
The organisation works hard to promote awareness of the fast rate of change under the sea. Monitoring fish, coral, water temperatures and other factors, they are building an alarming picture of the way that external factors are radically changing Thailand’s marine diversity. Prepare to leave the project with a thorough understanding of marine conservation, a passion for diving and the knowledge that you have contributed to something lasting and important.
- researching the effects of tourism on coral health
- growing experimental coral nurseries
- measuring coral recovery rates
- monitoring coral recovery strategies
- fish surveys
- identification of species
- reef and beach clean ups
- coral cover monitoring
Accommodation and food
- You will be based in comfortable yet basic accommodation in the small community of Chaloklum, on the island of Koh Phangan
- Researchers, project staff and volunteers all live together in on site self catering accommodation
- Wifi at accommodation
The island is a beautiful place to explore in free time. The beaches are pristine and golden, offering great swimming and lovely walking. The rainforests that cover the island are ready to be explored, and great boat trips and hiking trips can be arranged here. Alternatively, stretching out with a good book is a great way to enjoy time off in a relaxed and beautiful setting.
Extra information about the organisation of this project
- You will be with other international volunteers from around the world
- There is 24/7 emergency support
- Speak to someone who has done this project - our experienced team have volunteered on all of our projects and know them intimately
- You will need travel insurance to be able to join this project - we can offer advice of what to look for in a travel insurance policy
This organisation specialises in arranging hand-picked ethical volunteering projects in 18 countries around the world. Projects mainly focus on animal welfare, conservation, and sustainability, with strong focus also on humanitarian and social care programmes. Their passionate and experienced team of travellers have been sending volunteers around the world since 2006.
We are able to accept bookings for all projects currently, however the situation is still evolving regarding when and where participants can travel. We are offering free trip changes, free date changes
and also free unspecified date changes
. This gives travellers maximum flexibility, whilst also giving them something to look forward to.
If participants cannot travel, their money is financially protected by ATOL or IPP. The money paid can be used towards any
of our other trips within 18 months.
So wählen wir die Organisationen auf unserem Portal aus.