What do volunteers do?
Volunteers assist a local human rights organization that helps working children to get back to school in a fishing village. Volunteers work with project staff4 to 6 hours a day and collaborate on every aspect of the project. Tasks include conducting interviews with child labor victims and the fishermen who hire them; entering and analyzing the data; attending meetings with community leaders to discuss findings; negotiating solutions to rescue children; and writing project reports for donors and the public. Volunteers also participate in the selection of children eligible for scholarships to return to school. During the school year, volunteers may also devote time to teaching English at the schools where the rescued children study.
1. This description is intended only as a broad overview of the work. There is no typical day or script to follow. Remember, volunteers are serving in the developing world where conditions can change in an instant. Being flexible and open are crucial characteristics of a good international volunteer. It is each volunteer’s role to fit in with their project. We expect volunteers to contribute wherever the need arises, even if it means being involved in activities they were not expecting to work in. Being able to adapt, adjust and fit in is challenging, but also what makes international volunteering so special.
2. In their application, volunteers must provide their resume/CV.
3. Volunteers must bring a laptop.
4. Depending on the needs of the organization and motivations, qualifications of volunteers, they may have the opportunity to spend time in the field. However, like any high-skilled, post, this opportunity requires that volunteers spend a significant amount of time in the office. Additionally, remember that volunteers are not interns – while guidance is provided, there is no formal training and volunteers are ultimately responsible for being very proactive in finding ways to contribute. Finally, work habits and pace are probably very different than what volunteers are used to at home, and in accepting volunteers into this project it is with the understanding that they are self-directed, proactive and highly adaptive. This volunteer project is very challenging but, for volunteers with the right attitude, they will make an impact and find it highly rewarding.
5. Prior to arrival, volunteers must provide a police background check. Without it, volunteers will not be allowed on the project.
Wenn du jetzt mehr Infos anforderst, bekommt du außerdem kostenlos unseren 20-seitigen Ratgeber "So wählen Sie die richtige Freiwilligen-Organisation aus" im PDF-Format. Die Check-Liste für dieses Projekt haben wir darin bereits für rund 30 Qualitäts-Kriterien ausgefüllt. Das spart im Durchschnitt 60 Minuten Eigenrecherche. Und hilft entscheidend bei der Wahl des richtigen Freiwilligen-Projektes.